Print this Page

Click to return to the-Gospel.org

Bible studies from The-Gospel.org

 

Does the Bible Teach the Deity of Jesus Christ?

Table of Contents

Introduction

Let us first remove some false assumptions

God is one

No man has seen the Father

Messiah's Beginning

Jesus is the Creator

The Deity of the Messiah

Worship God Only

God only shalt thou serve

Opening the Eyes of the Blind

Conclusion

Introduction

First let me state my position, the Bible does teach the deity of Jesus Christ. Next, this study is directed mainly toward the Jehovah's Witnesses and those who are witnessing to them. Therefore, while this study can be used for anybody, we will look at some literature from the Watchtower Society.

What is at stake in this Bible study? If Jesus is not God, than to worship Him is idolatry. If Jesus is God, than not to worship Him is to deny the Lord that bought us.

But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. - 2nd Peter 2:1

Though we will look at the Trinity doctrine, this study will not spend time trying to defend it. I think it is more profitable to look at the Bible for verses that prove the deity of Jesus and then in a separate study look at verses that teach the person and Deity of the Holy Spirit.

Notes:

Let us first remove some false assumptions

The Watchtower Society prints a booklet called Should You Believe in the Trinity: Is Jesus Christ the Almighty God? (Trinity booklet) that makes many arguments against the deity of Jesus based on false assumptions. Let's remove some of these false assumptions from the start.

First assumption: A person's submission means he is inferior

But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. - 1 Corinthians 11:3

One argument Witnesses use to disprove the deity of Jesus is that He is submissive to the Father. Because He is submissive, He is not equal to God, thus He is not God. However, is this sound reasoning or a false assumption? For instance, while the Bible teaches that the wife should submit to her husband, does this mean, that in God's eye, she is of inferior value?

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. - Ephesians 5:22

Once when Jesus was speaking to the multitudes, He commanded his disciples to submit to the elders of Israel, and in the very same breath he condemned these very same elders,

Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
- Matthew 23:2-3

Jesus taught His disciples to submit to His adversaries. Does this mean Jesus thought his disciples were inferior to His adversaries?

Centuries earlier, king David bowed himself to Solomon; did this act of obeisance make Solomon greater than King David?

And moreover the king's servants came to bless our lord king David, saying, God make the name of Solomon better than thy name, and make his throne greater than thy throne. And the king bowed himself upon the bed. - 1 Kings 1:47

Actually, the Bible teaches us that the person in the submissive position is only inferior in this worldly system of things; in the Kingdom of God, he is the greatest of all.

And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors. But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve. For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth. - Luke 22:25-27

Jesus was indeed submissive to the Father; however, it is a false assumption contrary to the Bible's teaching to believe that a submissive person is thus inferior.

And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: - Matthew 20:27

Second assumption: Being called the Son of God implies a later beginning

And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
- Matthew 16:16

The Witness's own literature poses the question, ''But how can a person be a son and at the same time be as old as his father?'' (Trinity booklet, Page 15) If this is a sincere question, it is a good one and for the answer let us look to the Scriptures. The Bible teaches another paradox; Jesus called himself the Son of man.

When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? - Matthew 16:13

Yet at the same time, the Bible teaches that He created the world.

He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not. - John 1:10-11

AND

Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him. - Colossians 1:15-16

Using the booklet's logic, how can the son of man be before Adam and Eve? The problem is that the Witnesses do not understand what it means to be the Son of Man or what it means to be the Son of God. Or that there are other attributes besides age in a father and son relationship.

And they [that feared the LORD] shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.
- Malachi 3:17

If Jesus can be older than mankind and still be called the Son of Man, he can be called the Son of God without being younger than the Father is.

Third assumption: The title Firstborn means Jesus was a created being

And Joseph said unto his father, Not so, my father: for this is the firstborn; put thy right hand upon his head. - Genesis 48:18

The Bible teaches that there is a difference, between being firstborn and born first. To be born first means you were born first, to be the firstborn means you have the birthright, a preeminent position among your brothers.

And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright. - Genesis 25:31

This word birthright in this verse is הרכב (bek-o-raw'), it is the word translated firstlings Deuteronomy 12:6 and firstborn Deuteronomy 21:17. In Genesis 25:34 Esau sold this birthright to Jacob for a bowl of soup. Birthrights can be bought, sold or transferred, yet Esau was still (and will always be) born before Jacob, this will never change.

In Genesis 48:18 Joseph wanted his father to put his right hand on the head of his eldest son Manasseh, because as the eldest he had the right of the firstborn. His father declined and set Ephraim before Manasseh (vs. 20).

And Joseph said unto his father, Not so, my father: for this is the firstborn; put thy right hand upon his head. And his father refused, and said, I know it, my son, I know it: he also shall become a people, and he also shall be great: but truly his younger brother shall be greater than he, and his seed shall become a multitude of nations. And he blessed them that day, saying, In thee shall Israel bless, saying, God make thee as Ephraim and as Manasseh: and he set Ephraim before Manasseh. - Genesis 48:18-20

Later the prophet Jeremiah says,

I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble: for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn. - Jeremiah 31:9b

Though Ephraim was not one of Jacob's twelve sons, nor was he Joseph's eldest son, God has given him a preeminent position. In the same way, Jesus having the right of the Firstborn teaches us that He is preeminent, not that he was created.

And [Jesus] is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. - Colossians 1:18

Read Colossians 1:18 again, it says, that in all things he might have the preeminence not because he was the first thing created. Jesus was not the first person to be raised from the dead nor was he the first person to raise someone from the dead. Even so, He is preeminent in the resurrection.

Forth assumption: If Jesus were deity, He Himself would have clearly said so

In a moment, we will see that He did clearly teach this; however, for the sake of argument, let us say that He did not make His deity clear. Is this evidence that He is not God? Again, before we answer this let us look at the scriptures. In Matthew 16:15 Jesus asked His disciples a question?

He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? - Matthew 16:15

And Jesus satisfied with Peter's answer in verse 20 says,

Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
- Matthew 16:20

Does asking His disciples to keep the truth, that He was the Christ, a secret prove that Jesus was not the Christ? Later in the Gospel of John Jesus is speaking:

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins. - John 8:24

Who does Jesus expect us to believe He is? If you do not believe in the deity of Jesus, you will not worship Him. How do you honor the Father?

That all men should honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He that honoreth not the Son honoreth not the Father which hath sent him. - John 5:23

Fifth assumption: Other trinities nullify the Trinitarians claim to truth

This study is not going to prove the doctrine of the trinity. However, the Witnesses literature on the deity of Jesus brings a few points about the Trinity that we should address.

Artemis of Ephesus
Artemis and Watchtower

After making the assumption that other trinities nullify the Trinitarians claim to truth, the Trinity booklet goes on to show how some pagan religions have trinities in them. Then it suggests the possibility that Christendom plagiarized the trinity doctrine from pagans. The booklet uses many pictures of pagan trinities to make their point. Yet, we can use the same reasoning and argue that the Watchtower Society plagiarized their watchtower from the pagan goddess Artemis and thus they plagiarized other doctrines from this pagan goddess as well. If this reasoning seems silly, so should the reasoning in the Trinity booklet. If the existence of a trinity in other religions nullifies this doctrine, why do not the Jews and Muslim's claim to one God, nullify the Witness's religion?

Using the Watchtower Societies' evidence, we can make a better argument for the trinity, by showing how other religions use biblical truths. For example, the belief in a worldwide flood is found in all cultures, thus in pagan religions. Do the pagan accounts of Noah's flood prove Christendom plagiarized their belief in Noah from these pagans? Rather, any real investigation will show that great teachers from all other religions have quoted from the Bible, while Christianity does not use any of their holy books. Thus, the fact that some pagan religions have trinities could be evidence that it is a legitimate doctrine.

Finally consider that the Hindus have 330 million Gods, many walk alone, many work in pairs, maybe some are trinities. In many theistic religions, the Gods have family relationships. Does this disannul the Father Son relationship Jesus spoke of in the New Testament?

Sixth assumption: History shows that believing in a trinity causes evil

The Trinity booklet then goes on to show examples of evil done by the Roman Catholic Church. However, it never explained how a belief in the Trinity caused the Roman Church's misbehavior. This is important; I could show endless examples of evil done by religions that do not believe in a trinity and then make the foolish statement that not believing in a trinity doctrine caused the evil. Some facts not mentioned in the booklet:

The examples of evil used by the trinity booklet were caused by Constantine marrying the Church to the State. Wicked men joined the church to gain Constantine's favor and thus political power, just as Paul predicted in Acts 20:29.

For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. - Acts 20:29

There are many examples in the Watchtower Society's literature where they fail to make any distinction between a state controlled church and Bible believing Christians. Is it willful deception? Or, just ignorance?

Conclusion

The Trinity booklet uses many examples to try and make those who believe in a trinity look silly; most are straw man arguments. These six assumptions seem to be based on rational thought, yet they error in ignoring the scriptures that speak to the subject. It is a perilous assumption to believe that the Watchtower Society's studies are equal to Bible studies. Their booklets only teach the foregone conclusions of their governing body; real Bible studies teach the whole counsel of God.

And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
- Matthew 24:4

AND

Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. - 1 John 4:1

God is one

Hear, O Israel: The LORD [Jehovah] our God is one LORD [Jehovah]: - Deuteronomy 6:4

This verse is probably the one used most often to refute the deity of Jesus Christ. Here are some others like it.

Ye are my Witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no savior.
- Isaiah 43:10-11

AND

That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else. I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.
- Isaiah 45:6-8

Let us start by look at the definition of the word one (אחד) in Deuteronomy 6:4.

The Strong's definition of one: אחד ekh-awd'

A numeral from aw-khad'; properly united, that is, one; or (as an ordinal) first.
aw-khad' is defined: Perhaps a primitive root; to unify, that is, (figuratively) collect (one’s thoughts).

Other passages where this word ekh-awd' is used include (the bold word):

The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD. - Isaiah 65:25

AND

The whole congregation together was forty and two thousand three hundred and threescore, - Ezra 2:64

Now let us look at the definition of the word God (אלהים) in Deuteronomy 6:4

The Strong's definition of God: אלהים el-o-heem'

Plural of God; gods in the ordinary sense; but specifically used (in the plural thus, especially with the article) of the supreme God; occasionally applied by way of deference to magistrates; and sometimes as a superlative:

Now we can accurately translate Deuteronomy 6:4, ''Hear, O Israel: Jehovah our Gods is a united Jehovah''. To a Witness this may sound like blasphemy, yet is this not what Jesus said?

I and my Father are one. - John 10:30

AND

Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father? - John 14:9

AND

Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. - John 14:11

Earlier, in the Gospel of John, the Jews sought to kill him because Jesus made Himself equal with the Father.

But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God. - John 5:17-18

It is important to note that Jesus did not deny or renounce this claim to equality, rather He said, I and my Father are one. There are also many passages in the Old Testament that teach this relationship; for instance,

And God [plural] said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. - Genesis 1:26a

If you are a Witness you were taught that el-o-heem' is not really in the plural rather it is a royal we or deference to God's majesty; however, you cannot do that with the words that Jesus said, ''I and my Father are one''.

Going back to the passages, Isaiah 43:10-11 and Isaiah 45:6-8. Though they teach Jehovah is one, they also testify to the deity of Jesus Christ.

I, even I, am the LORD [Jehovah]; and beside me there is no savior. - Isaiah 43:11

The only savior is Jesus.

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. - Acts 4:12

AND

And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world.
- 1 John 4:14

While Isaiah 45 testifies that Jehovah is one, it also testifies of Jesus as Jesus is the creator.

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD [Jehovah] do all these things. Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD [Jehovah] have created it. - Isaiah 45:7-8

In the New Testament we learn.

All things were made by him [Jesus]; and without him was not any thing made that was made. - John 1:3

AND

He was in the world, and the world was made by him [Jesus], and the world knew him not.
- John 1:10

Since the Father made all things through the Messiah, it is reasonable that these are the us speaking in Genesis 1:26. In addition, since the Messiah is the Word of God, it is reasonable that he was the one speaking these words,

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. - Genesis 1:26a

No man has seen the Father

Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.
- John 6:46

According to Jesus, nobody has seen the Father, yet the Bible gives us many examples of people who have seen Jehovah; let us look at a few of them.

And the LORD [Jehovah] appeared unto him [Abraham] in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day; - Genesis 18:1

If you read this account, you will see that Abraham fixed a meal for Jehovah, walked with him and even discussed the judgment of Sodom with him.

Then went up Moses, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel: And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness. And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink.
- Exodus 24:9-11

AND

Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD [Jehovah] of hosts. - Isaiah 6:5

The Witnesses explain away this last verse by saying that Isaiah did not really see Jehovah, rather he only (only?) had a vision. Yet Isaiah himself said, "mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD [Jehovah] of hosts". Someday we will all stand before Jehovah; suppose that he asks you why you believed the Governing Body and not Isaiah, how would you answer?

Jesus is the Creator

Though we have touched on this already, Jesus is the Creator.

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
- John 1:3

AND

He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
- John 1:10

AND

Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds. - Hebrews 1:2

AND

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him. - Colossians 1:16

Though the New World Translation says Jesus created all other things, the word other was added by the translators, it is in no Greek manuscript. Any Witness can check this out if he wishes.

Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar. - Proverbs 30:5-6

Conclusion:

We see from these verses that Jesus is the creator.

Messiah's Beginning

Beginning of creation

Did the Messiah have a beginning? Using the following verse, the Witnesses teach that He did.

And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God. - Revelation 3:14

Understanding the definition of the word beginning is important. If we wish to understand what John meant, the words must have the same meaning to us as they had to him. The word beginning is the Greek word ἀρχή, (archē, as in archangel), it is also the bold word in the following verses.

And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: - Luke 12:11

AND

And they watched him, and sent forth spies, which should feign themselves just men, that they might take hold of his words, that so they might deliver him unto the power and authority of the governor. - Luke 20:20

AND

Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. - 1 Corinthians 15:24

AND

Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: - Ephesians 1:21

AND

And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: 
- Colossians 2:10

The word ἀρχή , used 59 times in the New Testament, means chief in the order of things such as rank place or time. While the word could be translated beginning, how do we know that it refers to Christ ruling over creation (rather than being created) in Revelation 3:14? Because chapters two and three are repetitions of chapter one. If you study Revelation without the booklets supplied by the Watchtower Society you will see.

To the congregation in Ephesus John wrote: "These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks" (Rev 2:1). The stars and candlesticks were previously mentioned in Chapter 1

The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. - Revelation 1:20

See how John mentions seven stars and candlesticks which he previously mentioned in chapter one? To the congregation in Smyrna John wrote: "These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive" (Rev 2:8) Again He was called the first and last in Chapter 1.

Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore. - Revelation 1:17b-18a

To the congregation in Pergamos John wrote: "These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges" (Rev 2:12). Again this comes from chapter one.

And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength. - Revelation 1:16

To the congregation in Thyatira John wrote: "These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass" (Rev 2:18). Again this comes from chapter one,

His eyes were as a flame of fire; And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace. - Revelation 1:14b-15a

To the congregation in Sardis John wrote: "These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars" (Rev 3:1). Again these are first mentioned in chapter one,

John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne; - Revelation 1:4

And he had in his right hand seven stars. - Revelation 1:16a

To the congregation in Philadelphia John wrote: "These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth" (Rev3:7). Should anybody be surprised that keys are first mentioned in chapter one?

I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. - Revelation 1:18

And finally, to Ephesus, the congregation in question, John wrote: "And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning [ἀρχή] of the creation of God" (Rev 3:14). Unfortunately for the Watchtower Society, there is no passage in the first chapter of Revelation that teaches Jesus is a created being. Instead, the apostle John plainly said,

And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince [ἄρχων, ruler] of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood. - Revelation 1:5

So rather than teaching Jesus is a created being, a sincere study of Revelation chapters one through three see John glorifying Him by by saying He is the rule, power and principality (has legal authority) over God's creation.

The firstborn

Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him. - Colossians 1:15-16

At the beginning of this study, we showed that it was an assumption that the right of the firstborn always went to the one who was born first. The point is that being the firstborn of every creature is a preeminent position. Read the above passage carefully, Paul taught the Colossians that Jesus was the firstborn of every creature because He created all things, not because He was the first creature that Jehovah created.

If you will look at any Greek manuscript, you will see how the New World Translation misquotes Paul by saying Jesus created all other things, the word 'other' is not in any Greek manuscript. In the following passage, all the words that are crossed out are words that were not written by Paul, but added to the Watchtower Society's translation.

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; because by means of him all other [in him all] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created through him and for him. Also, he is before all other things and by means of [in] him all other things were made to exist,
- Colossians 1:15-17 NWT

While the Watchtower Society mistranslates this passage to prove Jesus was was a created being, the following verses teach He was from eternity.

From everlasting

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. - Isaiah 9:6

AND

But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting. - Micah 5:2

Micah is talking about the future Messiah saying His going forth is from everlasting.

No beginning of days

The writer of Hebrews believed that Jesus was from eternity. Read carefully what he says concerning Melchisedec King of Salem.

Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually. - Hebrews 7:3

Conclusion

We see that Bible teaches that Jesus is from everlasting with no beginning of days, adding this to what we learned in the previous chapter we can say that Jesus is the everlasting creator.

The Deity of the Messiah

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. - Isaiah 9:6

The Watchtower Society will at least admit that Jesus Christ is a god, if they will not admit He is Jehovah God. The Witnesses in calling Jesus a god (one of many) lump him in with other created beings even devils that are called god. This dishonors Jesus.

Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honor my Father, and ye do dishonor me.
- John 8:49

So what are the verses that teach the deity of Jesus Christ?

Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel [translated means, God with us]. - Isaiah 7:14

AND

I am the LORD [Jehovah]: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. - Isaiah 42:8

This last verse is important. Remember Jesus said,

I and my Father are one. - John 10:30

It is worth reading John 10:30-38 to get the fullness of what Jesus is saying.

The following may be the verse that the Witnesses are most often confronted with.

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. - Isaiah 9:6

When presented with this verse the Witnesses are quick to point out that it says mighty God not almighty God and for them this makes all the difference. Quoting from the Trinity booklet:

So John 1:1 highlights the quality of the Word, that he was 'divine,' 'godlike,' 'a god,' but not Almighty God. (Trinity booklet, Pg 27)

So, we should ask them two questions. Is Jehovah ever called the mighty God? And is any other god ever called the mighty God? Yes to the first question, Jehovah is called the mighty God six other times.

Thou showest lovingkindness unto thousands, and recompensest the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them: the Great, the Mighty God [El gibbor], the LORD [Jehovah] of hosts, is his name, - Jeremiah 32:18

(See also Psalms 50:1, 132:2 & 5, Isaiah 10:21, & Genesis 49:24)

And no to the second question, only the Father and the Messiah are called The Mighty God in Scripture.

Art thou not from everlasting, O LORD [Jehovah] my God, mine Holy One? we shall not die. O LORD [Jehovah], thou hast ordained them for judgment; and, O mighty God [El gibbor], thou hast established them for correction. - Habakkuk 1:12

Both Jehovah and the Messiah are the Mighty Gods (el-o-heem' gibbor) of Israel. There are also verses in the New Testament that teach the deity of Jesus. Let us look at a verse from Paul's letter to the congregation at Philippi.

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. - Philippians 2:5-8

Let us put the New World Translation (NWT) next to it for comparison.

Keep this mental attitude in YOU that was also in Christ Jesus, who, although he was existing in God’s form, gave no [The wrong place] consideration to a seizure, namely, that he should be equal to God. No, but he emptied himself and took a slave’s form and came to be in the likeness of men. More than that, when he found himself in fashion as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient as far as death, yes, death on a torture stake.
- Philippians 2:5-8 NWT

All the words that are crossed out are words that were added by the Watchtower Society though they are not in any Greek manuscript, but even more important is the fact that they misplaced the word 'no' thus changing the meaning of this passage of scripture. Anybody can check this out for himself to see if it is true.

Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish aught from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.
- Deuteronomy 4:2

Unfortunately, if you study exclusively from the New World Translation, there are many alterations, especially where the Watchtower Society's doctrine varies from Christianity.

So is Jesus God or 'a' god like the Trinity Booklet says? Of course, any Witness who is prepared to do battle is ready to be hit with John 1:1

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
- John 1:1

OR

In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.
- John 1:1 NWT

Actually, the original Greek reads like this:

Εν   ἀρχῇ ἦν   ὁ Λόγος, καὶ  ὁ   Λόγος   ἦν  πρὸς τὸν Θεόν,   καὶ Θεὸς ἦν ὁ Λόγος,
In beginning  was the Word,  and the word was with the God, and God was the  word,

If the first mention of God refers to THE God, why do the Witnesses assume the second reference is just A god? Why would John change to another god in mid sentence, without drawing our attention to it? Actually, the indefinite article 'a' does not exist in the Greek language. Thus, there needs to be a grammatical reason (not just unbelief in Christ's deity), to add it to a sentence when adding it completely changes the sentence's meaning.

Conclusion

We see that Bible teaches Jesus is the Mighty God. Adding this to the previous chapters, we can say that Jesus is the Mighty Eternal Creator God.

Worship God Only

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. - Luke 4:8

This is the bottom line; do we worship Jesus? The Bible teaches that is a sin to worship a created being.

Thou shalt have no other gods before me. - Exodus 20:3

AND

Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshiped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. - Romans 1:25

Peter refused to be worshiped and John was rebuked when he worshiped at the feet of an angel.

And as Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him, and fell down at his feet, and worshipped him. But Peter took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself also am a man. - Acts 10:25-26

AND

And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which showed me these things. Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellow servant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God. - Revelation 22:8-9

The word for worship is προσκυνέω and it is used 60 times in the New Testament. Here is a quick list. These verses are listed in the order that they appear in the Bible.

These passages share about those who worship God

These passages share about worship that is forbidden by God.

The saints worship [προσκυνέω] Jesus

Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. ... And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshiped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.
- Matthew 2:2 & 2:11

AND

While he spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshiped him, saying, My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live. - Matthew 9:18

AND

Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. And when they saw him, they worshiped him: but some doubted.
- Matthew 28:16-17

Matthew contrasts two types of people, those who worship Jesus and those who doubt.

And they smote him on the head with a reed, and did spit upon him, and bowing their knees worshiped him. - Mark 15:19

Notice how the wicked mock the worshiping of Jesus. Contrast this with the Jesus' disciples:

And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven. And they worshiped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy:
- Luke 24:51-52

In every Gospel there are stories of how people worshiped Jesus.

Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God? He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him? And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee. And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshiped him. - John 9:35-38

Jesus himself taught us, ''Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God and him only shalt thou serve''.

And again, when he bringeth in the first begotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. - Hebrews 1:6

AND

Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. - Revelation 14:7

Jesus is the Mighty God who made the heavens, the earth, the seas and the fountains of waters. All the angels of God worship him. It was Jesus' enemies who mocked the worshiping of Him. Which group are you in? There are a few other passages in the Bible where the saints worship Jesus (Matthew 14:33, 20:20, 28:9 and Mark 5:5-7), but our survey is enough to see two things.

Then saith [Jesus] to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. - John 20:27-29

Though the word worship is not mentioned in the above passage that is what Thomas is doing. If you believe the Bible, do not let anyone explain away this clear teaching. Thomas called Jesus his Lord and his God and Jesus answered him saying, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed.

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins. - John 8:24

This is the question, for if we do not get this one right we die in our sins. Who is Jesus? To answer it read the following Scripture verse very carefully and prayerfully.

For this very reason also God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every [other] name, so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground, and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.
- Philippians 2:9-11 NWT

The Watchtower Society adds, among other words, the word other to their Bible, though it is not in any Greek manuscript. Every Witness believes that he knows the name that is above every other name. If you read this carefully, you know to whom this name was given.

God only shalt thou serve

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. - Luke 4:8

Jesus commanded not only to worship God only, but to serve God only. So why do the apostles and elders call themselves servants of Jesus Christ?

Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
- Romans 1:1

AND

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting. - James 1:1

AND

Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Savior Jesus Christ:
- 2 Peter 1:1

AND

Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called. - Jude 1:1

There is only one way that the disciples can call themselves servants of Jesus Christ and serve God only.

Opening the Eyes of the Blind

I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles; To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house. - Isaiah 42:6-7

Once God opens our eyes, the whole Bible teaches the deity of Jesus. However, not every verse says the words Jehovah or Almighty God. For example, since we only pray to God, passages like these in John, Acts and Revelation show the deity of Jesus.

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. - John 14:13-14

AND

And they stoned Stephen, calling upon [God], and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
- Acts 7:59

AND

And when he [Jesus] had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. - Revelation 5:8

There are countless verses that identify Jesus with God.

Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. - Acts 20:28

The Watchtower Society changed this verse to read ''purchased with the blood of his own Son''. This completely changes the meaning of the sentence; however, the word son is not found in any Greek manuscript. In order to understand the deep things of God, we must search with whole heart, not just read a few topical studies. We must be willing to believe the truth, even though it will be at great cost. Jehovah spoke through Isaiah:

I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.  - Isaiah 42:8

This is absolutely true of Jesus when we read.

And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.  - John 17:5

This study has shown many passages teaching the deity of Jesus. Yet because God has closed their eyes, they cannot comprehend when Isaiah says,

I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no savior.  - Isaiah 43:11

AND

Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Savior; there is none beside me. - Isaiah 45:21

The LORD rides upon a swift cloud

There are many passages in the Old Testament that teach of Jehovah, that in the New Testament, are taught of Jesus. For instance, in the Old Testament Isaiah says of Jehovah:

The burden of Egypt. Behold, the LORD rideth upon a swift cloud, and shall come into Egypt: and the idols of Egypt shall be moved at his presence, and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of it.  - Isaiah 19:1 

AND

For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.  - Isaiah 66:15 

The New Testament says of Jesus:

And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.  - Mark 14:62

AND

And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory
- Luke 21:27

AND

Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. 
- Revelation 1:7

In the LORD have I righteousness and strength

The Old Testament extols Jehovah:

Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed.  - Isaiah 45:24 

When talking about righteousness in Jesus Christ the New Testament says:

And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:  - Philippians 3:9

When talking about our strength in Jesus Christ the New Testament says:

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.  - Philippians 4:13

All that are incensed against him shall be ashamed

The Old Testament warns:

Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed.  - Isaiah 45:24 

The New Testament warns:

For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.
-Luke 9:26 

The LORD, your Holy One, your Creator, your King

The Old Testament says:

I am the LORD, your Holy One, the creator of Israel, your King.  - Isaiah 43:15

The New Testament says Jesus is Holy:

And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.  - Luke 1:35

The New Testament says Jesus is the Creator:

He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not.  - John 1:10-11

The New Testament says Jesus is King:

Took branches of palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, Hosanna: Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord. - John 12:13

AND

These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful. 
- Revelation 17:14

Thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name

The Old Testament says:

I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name. - Psalms 138:2

The New Testament says:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
- John 1:1

The Psalmist said that God has elevated His Word above His name, the apostle John tells us who the Word is. It is hard to know when to stop, as these parallels are almost endless; it is just as Jesus said:

Search the Scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. - John 5:39-40

Conclusion

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins. - John 8:24

Written by Jeff Barnes 

Do not let the Watchtower Society keep you in bondage.

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. - Matthew 10:37

If you wish to discuss this further, contact me.